Tuesday 14 August 2012

“The question I've asked more often during our marriage, if not out loud, if not to the person who could answer. I supposed these questions stormcloud over every marriage: What are you thinking how are you feeling? Who are you? What have we done to each other? What will we do?”

Gillian Flynn officially rocks my world.  After all the buzz about her latest novel Gone Girl, I knew I had to jump on the bandwagon and check it out.  OH MY GOD.  Now here is a lady who knows how to weave a psychological thriller.  I sat down one evening to start the book and finished it the next night; I literally could not put it down.  I haven't met a psychopath quite like the one Flynn has created and my god I couldn't get enough of it.  Amy and Nick are some of the most in depth and fascinating characters I have encountered in a long time and despite being disgusted with them at times, I found that my curiosity got the best of me and I had to keep reading to find out how these two were going to continue to mess with each others minds.  This one is topping my best reads of the year list so far.

I so enjoyed Gone Girl that I picked up Flynn's debut novel, Sharp Objects.  While I didn't enjoy it quite as much, it was still fantastic.  The reader has a love-hate relationship with reporter Camille Preaker, who returns to her home town to investigate two brutal murders of two little girls.  Camille's mother and step-sister are unnerving and keep the reader continually guessing about what exactly is going on in these women's heads.

I hope to soon read Flynn's second novel, Dark Places.  I have a feeling I'm gonna love that one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...