Wednesday 29 February 2012

“Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought.”

I don't know how many times I have picked up Kathyrn Stockett's debut novel, The Help, at bookstores.  I read the back, flip through the pages and thought....ehh, maybe another time.  I just couldn't seem to get excited about reading it for some reason.  Maybe because every other person I talked to (especially when I was at work at the bookstore) was telling me I HAD to read it! It would change my life! Maybe it was just to popular for me to get excited about since everyone else was excited about it.  While the topic peaked my interest, I just kept thinking it was going to be a downer read and that I didn't wanna go there. 
The other day I was having a really hard time trying to pick a book to read, nothing peaked my interested!  I was at work and I picked up The Help and thought to myself, 'oh what the hell, I might as well give it a go.'  I think that this quote by YA author Margaret Stohl (co-author of Beautiful Creatures) on her reading experience with The Help sums it up best: "It's really almost horrible when those books everyone loves turn out to be worthy of all the adoration. But it does."
 This book was amazing and I quite literally didn't put it down until I finished it (took me from one evening to the next). So moving and emotional, the stories of Aibileen, Minny, and Skeeter tell the reader of these three amazing women and how they take a chance and take a stance; they tell the truth.  This was such a pleasure to read and I'm so glad I finally got around to it!  I will have to rent the Oscar nominated film and see how it compares!

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Most of the time, there is no truth, only various levels of interpretation. Fact is a construct we provide to the public.”

The Ashford Affair  by Lauren Willig I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series and thought I would give one of her stan...